Monday, October 29, 2007

Dog-walker trampled by a herd of killer cows

A police inspector walking his dog through a field suffered life-threatening injuries after he was trampled by a herd of cows.

Chris Poole, 50, had to be airlifted to hospital with broken ribs and a collapsed lung following the attack by the usually-docile animals.

"I worked on a farm when I was a youngster and always told people not to worry about cows and said they never attacked," he said yesterday. "Little did I know."

Mr Poole, who is married with a 16-year-old daughter, said he was with his golden retriever Zak on a designated footpath near his home in Brighton when the cattle became agitated.

"I had Zak on a lead but I think they were still bothered by his presence. Suddenly, one cow started mooing and then others began running towards me. There were about 50 of them.

Some were cows with calves but all were fully grown.

"We were surrounded but I wasn't scared at that point. I waved and shooed them away as they came close.

"They were focused on Zak and became more agitated as they got nearer and nearer.

"Then I felt this cow butt me hard in the back. I fell to the ground and let go of Zak's lead.

Full Story

No comments: